Friday, 7 September 2012

Cheesy rice and bean dish. (Vegan, gluten free, and soy free)





Yesterday was my son's first day of kindergarten. I took so many pictures that I ran out of batteries when it came to taking a picture of my dinner.



So here is the one picture I was able to snap before I camera of rechargeable batteries shut down.



Before we get down to the meal, for the Mom's of the group, I cried when I dropped him off. I stood there alone and realized I walking home by myself. My little sports boy was off to school. Who would obsessively beg me to take them to driving range? Or want to play tennis with me for 2 hours? Or tell me my pitch needed some improvement?  Anyways, I am ready to move onto the next stage of life. 2 kids in school. eeek.

This means two things. One, the summer is over and I am back to blogging regularly. Two, next time I will have batteries in my camera. At least until gymnastics and soccer starts. :)

The kid version of the meal I'll have to describe.

So this dinner is brown rice, canned mixed beans, salsa, salt, pepper, Daiya cheese and broccoli.

After this picture I put the food in the pan, which is cast iron, and put it in the oven on broil. The cheese bubbles, and will get crispy on the outside. Yum. 

What inspired a cheesy rice dish was the person who I happened to meet on my street. I am outside playing with my kids before dinner and a man with his children walk by with their dog. He works for Daiya foods. I couldn't believe it! Cool! So, of course I had to make something cheesy.

The kids version didn't have the spicy salsa, it had Earth balance margarine, baby corn (which they LOVE), and broccoli with melted cheese. My son had 3 servings of it, and my daughter had 2. Not bad! My son cannot digest beans along with lots of other things, so the kids had leftover organic chicken.

As you can imagine there was lots of chatter around the table talking about school. I have leftovers now for my lunch, and leftovers for my kids lunch in their thermos. 

Now for the next dinner. Tomorrow's Friday so that means....PIZZA!!!! (Gluten free and vegan of course!)

Enjoy everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment